So, my rainbow baby is my 4th pregnancy but 2nd baby. There’s a part of me that hates the question “Is this your first baby?” or “Do you have any other children?” I get those questions a lot. I usually answer with “No, I have a 3 year old at home.” But I always feel like I’m leaving out my 2 angels. It’s kind of a big deal to have been pregnant 4 times! But since this is not my first pregnancy or first baby, I also feel an awkward sense of what is expected of me. I feel like the 2nd baby is frequently not as celebrated as the first baby since we already have most of what we need.
Granted, it can be hard to celebrate. The fear is always lingering and maybe you’re a smidgen scared to celebrate out of fear that things will go wrong again. I get it! Really! I do! I’ve put off buying things for fear that if something happens to this baby, I’ll have this reminder of what might have been. I may also put off getting a nursery ready for the same reason. But by no means, does this mean you shouldn’t celebrate. And, I say, let’s look our fears in the face and celebrate our miracles!
I disagree that 2nd pregnancies/babies should not get the luxuries and celebrations of first pregnancies/babies. Especially if your 2nd child is also a Rainbow Baby! Our rainbows need to be celebrated! And if your 2nd baby/rainbow baby is also the opposite gender as your first, even more reason to celebrate! Because of this, I give you permission! I give you permission to celebrate anyway you choose!
Disclosure: Affiliate links are included in this post. I appreciate your support in keeping this blog running!
- Have a baby sprinkle or shower – I kind of want to have one, at least a sprinkle anyway. Honestly? I do feel awkward about it. I think it’s assumed that since this is my 2nd baby that it’s just not done. Maybe after baby girl is born? I might be more comfortable with the idea once she’s actually in my arms.
- Create a registry – I totally did this! It’s pretty basic, but I do in fact have a registry.
- Buy all the clothes – I finally caved and bought 2 new onsies for baby girl. It may have been panic inducing, but I did it nonetheless.
- Buy new nursery decor – It’s on my registry! Her room will be HER room, not all of M’s leftovers. She’s her own person and I want her to know that we made her room her’s.
- Buy new cloth diapers, even if you have more than enough (if you cloth diaper that is) – Yep! BumGenius has a cute new print, I bought it. Doesn’t even matter that we have diapers that M has never worn, I wanted it for her. Bring on the obsession again!
- Do a gender reveal party – We did not do this, we did make the gender reveal a bit of an event by not opening the envelope to find out until Christmas morning, but there was no actual party involved. I say go for it though if you want to!
- Do whatever you want to celebrate! Your baby deserves to be celebrated, whether it’s your first, 2nd, or 15th, celebrate that rainbow baby that you are miraculously growing!
Why shouldn’t we celebrate our rainbow babies as much as our first (aka “sunshine”) babies? They’re just as special, right? We still need some essentials, right? So, why not celebrate, do the things you did your with your first! I give you permission! 😉